A prolific human rights lawyer and a passionate women’s law activist and speaker, Abha Singh has made headlines since she quit as Director, Postal Services Maharashtra and Goa, back in 2012. Since then Abha Singh has delved deep into the world of law – actively participating against the rich and famous to make sure that justice does not evade the underprivileged. A glance at her career in law, and one will find a clear purpose to help the needy behind her efforts. Coming from a bureaucratic family with principled upbringing and feet firmly on the ground, Abha is known to be blunt with her views and a firebrand in court.
Recognised with the Women’s Achiever Award in April 2008 by the Tata Group, Abha was also the runner up and the only women finalist for Times of India Initiative to search new leaders for India. Also, she was felicitated with the ‘Government Citizen’ award, Karmaveer Puraskaar by Confederation of NGOs, New Delhi along with many other laurels.
To further her vision, Abha established and runs Rann-Samar, a unique initiative that provides free legal aid to helpless women and slum dwellers who have been unfairly persecuted by local authorities and builders for land that is rightfully theirs. Armed with her illustrious experience, thanks to her stint in Customs and Postal departments, Abha today charts a path for women lawyers who are not afraid to take on the high and mighty.
A brilliant orator who has led an inspired life, Abha has certainly come a long way. Now with her eye on bigger things, she is definitely to watch out for!
- Women Empowerment
- Qualities for Leadership
- Women and Their Rights
- Sexual Harassment at Work – New Laws (POSH Act)
- Making women safe at workplace
- Gender diversity
- Freedom of Speech and Expression
- Finding Your Career
- Breaking the Glass Ceiling
- Balancing Work-Home & Be A Winner
- How To Not Let Adversity Stop You
- Let Society Norms Not Limit You
- Fearless At Fifty
- Finding the Hapless Within You
Past Speaking Experience
- Prominent Speaker at the School of Oriental African Studies, London- Does 498A protect women or is it legal terrorism?
- Spoke at TEDx Oxbridge. Entitled ‘Why laws in place do not empower women?’
- Delivered a talk on the #MeToo Movement, at India Dialogues, Columbia University, New York
- Was invited by the Centre of Political Studies, JNU to speak on the Right to Privacy.
- Spoke at IIM, Lucknow on Leadership
- Held a round table discussion in Mumbai on how to make the Prevention of Sexual Harassment (POSH) Act, 2013 more effective in the corporate world with eminent personalities from Muzo Bank, the French Consulate and Edelweiss.
- Will be delivering opening remarks at the Saris to Suits’ Inaugural ‘Global Unity in Diversity’ Conference in Delhi.
- Recorded an episode with RJ Kanchan for Aakashwani on Honour Killings, Female Foeticide, Sexual Harassment at Workplace, POCSO and varied other Laws promulgated to protect Women.
- Spoke at GLS Law College in Ahmedabad on Constitutional Mandate and Dynamics of Gender Justice, Law and Enforcement
- Delivered a speech at DCAC for Internal complaints committee on topic – Gender Sensitization and Women Empowerment.
- Was a keynote speaker at the Alibaba Global Conference XIN Philanthropy along with Kangna Ranaut, Gul Panag, Swati Maliwal and Shaina NC, on how ‘Education Empowers Women’.
- Keynote address on how boys and girls can be sensitised towards women’s issues in the opening ceremony of the Model United Nations Conference at Daly College, Indore.